Tuesday, 23 April 2019

The Old Dream

[This was previously published on the Tumblr blog Pessimist Press]:

The Old Dream

By Doctor Pessimist



When I was a little boy, I had this odd dream: I’m sitting in an armchair, and watching some TV. As I get up, I notice something strange is happening to me; I seem to be aging. When I arrive in my room, I have transformed into an old man.
I lie down on my bed, and look around my bedroom. It’s completely different to how I remember it. Instead of a bedroom owned by a child, it looks more like a nursing home. Gone are my toys, my posters and even my childhood clothes.  
I sit up and take a good look on my nightstand. I see only pictures of myself and my parents. There are no pictures of any children, or even a bride.
I realise that my life has been one huge waste of time.
And then I awoke from this dream, with tears running down my face.
Even as I write this, I cry because there’s no one to carry out my legacy. After all, because of my mutation, I am rendered infertile and am unable to have kids.
The plus side is that my mutation makes me age slower than other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment